118 West 76 Street
August 13, 2007 Leave a comment
Address: 118 West 76 Street
Landmark Status: Yes
6613 Forest Avenue
Ridgewood, NY 11385
Summary of site plans and status
The building is vacant and was neglected, and tagged with graffiti. Council Member Gale A. Brewer has been in contact with the owners many times to mandate that they maintain the front well of the building free of debris, rodents, and graffiti. In response the owners have hired maintenance staff to clean the property. The owners continue to be current on the property taxes of this vacant brownstone.
New York City’s Landmarks Preservation Commission’s designation report calls Thom and Wilson ‘the most prolific architectural firm represented in the Upper West Side/Central Park West Historic District.’ Their work is described as ‘highly inventive in design and generally executed in the neo-Grec and Renaissance Revival styles incorporating elements from a number of historic sources.’ Their most well-known commission is the landmark Harlem Courthouse on East 121 Street.
This building is the easternmost of a row of five designed by Thom and Wilson in 1890-1.